What to Expect

Getting Ready For Surgery

Every potential patient deserves to be knowledgeable about weight loss surgery. The NEA Baptist Weight Loss Surgery Clinic is dedicated to providing potential patients with the resources needed to be informed weight loss candidates. Let us help you determine if weight loss surgery is right for you and discover what it takes to accomplish weight loss surgery success.

Deciding on a procedure is based upon several factors such as medical history and weight loss goals. Learn more about options here.

Risks of Surgery

Understanding what to expect from the operation and all the potential risks will assist in evaluating weight loss surgery options. Please feel free to discuss complications from surgery with your physician.  Learn more about the risk of surgery:  Risk of Surgery

Choosing NEA Baptist

Choosing to proceed with bariatric surgery at NEA Baptist is a organized process beginning with attending an informative seminar given by Dr. Jones, metabolic and bariatric surgeon. Information regarding insurance, support groups, day of surgery details and pre-op diet are given to each patient. Supporting patients throughout surgery provides a greater opportunity for your weight loss surgery success.

What Will Happen Now

Losing Weight After Surgery

It is impossible to predict how much weight you will lose with your operation. In general, people lose between 40 percent and 75 percent of their excess weight. This depends on many factors, including choice of operation, compliance with instructions and amount of exercise.

Patients should select a goal weight which is between 10 and 40 pounds over their ideal weight. This is more realistic and just as healthy as attempting to reach an ideal weight. The operation will do 75 percent of the job, but the other 25 percent is the patient’s responsibility.

A proper diet is key to maintaining weight loss surgery. Most physicians provide postoperative diet information to ensure the body is receiving suitable nutrition after the surgery.

Learn more about postoperative diets:


Weight loss surgery is a lifestyle change. Diet adjustments will need to be made because of the changes that were made to the stomach during surgery. It is very important to adhere to your surgeon’s diet recommendations.

Eating Habits

  • Chew food slowly and thoroughly, to reduce it to very small pieces. Grinding the meat before eating it may be helpful.
    Wait two to three minutes between bites.
  • Drink fluids at a time other than when eating, to avoid a premature feeling of fullness that may cause nausea.
  • Avoid eating foods high in sugar and fat, such as non-diet soda, juices, high-calorie nutritional supplements and milkshakes.
  • Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits and take the vitamin and nutrition supplements prescribed by a physician.
  • Be careful with alcohol. It is absorbed and metabolized much more rapidly after surgery. Also, be aware that alcohol has calories and can significantly increase your daily intake of calories, which can lead to weight re-gain.
  • Plan meal times, and avoid snacking. Eat several small meals per day because of the stomach’s smaller capacity.
  • Review the example of a typical diet for a weight loss surgery patient. Example Daily Diet